Background

Friday 23 September 2011

I wanna be... shiny! :)

Mmm... I like shiny things :)

I like pretty pieces of silver jewellery that catch the light, with delicate chains and smooth pendants.
I like satin, it's gorgeous drape and the way it falls so elegantly.
I like the stars in the sky, and the calm feeling I get when I look up at them as I let my worries just drift away - a calm, clear, warm evening, knowing I'm not alone.
I like tinsel! I love the "nearly Christmas" buzz that goes with it.
I like conkers in Autumn, crunching through dry leaves with a coat on.
I like gel pens and how they look so pretty, whatever you draw on.
I like tin foil that hasn't been creased or crumpled... it's so perfect and pretty!
I like rippling water on Summer evenings, catching the sunlight, catching my eye.
I like sweet wrappers and those little silver balls you get on cakes.
I like colourful jewels and stained glass windows, I like golden candlesticks and dewy droplets on blades of glass.

And you know what? I strive to be shiny.

She's really lost it this time... I knew she was a little weird, but really, what is she on about? 

I'm not talking about taking a pot of ceramic silver paint and painting myself from head to toe. Though I wouldn't mind a silver nail polish... but that's not what I'm getting at.

As followers of Jesus, we've been given a light.

""You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven...""

I love this verse. Let's take it apart.

When we became followers of Jesus, a light was bestowed upon us. Firstly, what the flip does that mean?

"Light." What's light in itself? Light's what keeps the world going around. It's what keeps us all alive. Don't we describe sorrows and depression as living in darkness? Well, light is the opposite! Light is what fills us up. Light is what helps us to SEE.

In holding light, we help eachother to find the truths we all seek.

Light is what leads us, and others. Light is what's leading us into the arms of Jesus.

And hiding our light is totally unproductive, and... perhaps even ungrateful? It's a beautiful gift we're blessed to have been given by God!

But that's what Jesus is going on about when he says "Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl." It's true. Imagine you've been given a torch. You and your friends are out at night - do you turn the torch on and put it in your pocket so neither you nor your friends get any benefit from it? That helps no-one - you're just wasting the battery!

No, you get the torch out, and you all walk home safely. You benefit from the light.

""In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven...""

You get out your light and people are grateful. People are glad, and maybe next time, they'll remember to bring a torch too! And the more light, the safer and easier it is for you and your friends. It doesn't mean the dangers aren't there, but you are in a much better position to deal with them.

Another thing about you and your friends? You're in this together. You're shining your light for them to see, you're inspiring them - but you're together, and that's important. God loves the church - and church just means people coming together for God. He loves fellowship and it's important for our faith to stay strong. 

Modern technology can be such a pain! Being young doesn't make it any less complicated, though people sometimes think we must have it easy. But that's not the case and for a lot of us, the problem is switching on the torch. You've fiddled about with it for ages, you've tried everything. But you really don't know how to switch the light on.

Well. The answer is nice and cheesy :)

LOVE

Told you so! There is SO much material in the Bible about love. Because, as 1 John 4:16 tells us, God IS Love. So switch that torch on by the means of love. It's about the way you look on life and treat other people. It's about talking to that girl who no-one else speaks to, as Jesus would talk to those with leprosy or outcasts, though no-one else would. It's about being unconditional in our forgiveness, it's about seeing past appearances and peoples' pasts and simply having a place in your heart for everyone.

Does that sound difficult? Maybe. Do you need a big heart? Yes. How do you make your heart bigger? Let the Holy Spirit into your heart.

Get inspired - read 1 Corinthians 13. It's a gorgeous chapter, you've probably read it before.

Get your light out - put it on a lampstand and shine for the world.

  • This Little Light, LZ7 - it's a wonderful song, which, awesomely, is about what I have written today. I love it! LZ7 are pretty cool.
  • Scripture Union Holiday Camps - these are AMAAAZING! I went to Bcoz Ur Wrth It a while ago, and this Summer I went to Get Real! - it was the best birthday I've ever had and pretty much the most amazing week of my life. I loved it - SO MUCH! :D Brits, check it out. They are well worth going too.
  • RISE, Rachel & Jason Gardner - A book I recently bought, which is excellent - for any Christian - young or old, male of female, at any stage in your walk. Rachel's Cherished is equally wonderful. I'd recommend Cherished for girls aged 11 - 18. It's great!





2 comments: