Background

Thursday 29 September 2011

The Little Things

It's been a grey day.

You know the ones. Nothing's quite coloured, or memorable. Everything's dulled, it feels as if everything's in shadow. Your sunshine is nowhere to be seen behind the thick grey cloud. And the monochrome is tiring. It's all a little too sharp, but never sharp enough.


I felt stuck in those shadows in a big way today. But what got me through was the little things.


A blackcurrant Soother from a very lovely person indeed for my sore throat. An uplifting song on my mp3 player that I sat listening to on the bus, dreading the day ahead. Rehearsing a song at my concert band that brought back pretty memories. Sitting on the sofa with my tortoise. Somebody singing a crazy song and making me giggle in maths, though before I had felt more like crying. A hug from someone wonderful. My watch matching what I was wearing in the evening.


There were times I felt, frankly, completely rubbish. But all of these things put the colour into my day. We can't live in black and white. Colours are vital in our lives - they help young children to develop and directly influence how we feel and what we do. And it's the little things that shone a beautiful spectrum of colour into even the deepest of the shadows. I didn't feel 100% - I was ill, exhausted and next to nothing was going right.


I love this quote. I'd love to say that the name of my blog was inspired by it, but when I saw this quote, my blog had already been up, named and running for a few months.


"Someday all you will have to light your way will be a single ray of hope and that will be enough."
Kobi Yamada


I love this.


It might be all dark, it might be colourless. But we've got to get through. We're not always blessed with a huge, amazing source of help, but we've often got something more powerful - or more likely many, many things that together are more powerful that will get us through. Even in the darkness, a single ray of hope - because hope is that strong and beautiful - is sufficient to light up the path.


It mightn't be entirely clear, but it's enough to get you through while you search for a lamp.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Lizzie, been a bit of a tiring day :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, sweetheart, me too. We must have a chat soon. Much love :) xx

    ReplyDelete